Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Off, So Off-Price Shopping?


Another day, another casual outfit.  I am not sure what I am going to do next week when I am back at work and will no longer be able to be quite so casual in my dress.  I am definitely enjoying being very comfortable ... and catching up on all my reading.  I wish that I had had the forethought to stock up on DVDs for the week (but I didn't).


The other day, I went to one of the city's larger off-price stores, comparable to Filene's Basement in NYC.  I usually have a hard time shopping at this particular off-price store.  I fall in love with tons of stuff and end up walking away with many things that, in the light of day (i.e., in my home), I just can't make anything of.  This time around, I tried something new at the store, in an effort to ensure that I only walked away with clothes that I could make something of at home.  Instead of just ooh-ing and aah-ing at the clothes, I tried working each thing that I tried on into my existing wardrobe.  I imagine that this shopping technique is quite common (in fact, I just finished reading a post where the blogger says that she doesn't buy an item of clothing if she can't imagine wearing it, with her existing pieces of clothing, in the fitting room).  The thing is: I don't usually resort to this technique.  Ordinarily, if I love a piece of clothing, I buy it.  Somehow I usually manage to make it work subsequently.  But, so far, if I love a piece of clothing that I find at an off-price store, if I buy it, I can't seem to do anything with it, no matter how much I try.  Hence, my trying to resort to the shopping technique.  I am pleased to report that it worked.  I only walked away from my off-price shopping trip with clothing that I know I will be able to do something with.  And, if it's proof you are after, then look no further than today's outfit.  The vest was one of my off-price finds.


I am wearing a waffle lined flannel shirt from LLBean, an old scarf, a Calvin Klein Jeans sweater vest from an off-price store, un-sweatpants by Roots, old socks from an off-price store and an old barn jacket from Lands End.  My boots are Bogs.

No comments: