Monday, May 17, 2010

Waiting




Today's outfit was inspired by an editorial in a now defunct fashion magazine (whose lack of presence today has recently been lamented).  Sadly, I can't display the editorial, but I can say that it had to do with a back-to-school wardrobe inspired by school marms and librarians.  The editorial featured crisp white shirts, dark colours, pleated skirts, heavy woolen cardigans, woolen vests, knee and ankle socks, oxfords, bows and granny-like spectacles.  I can't recall ever gravitating to these back-to-school looks at this time of year.  For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, though, I really wanted to wear this back-to-school look today.




Today's outfit is, in fact, a second version.  The elements that made up the first version are long gone.  I don't like to regret, nor do I usually regret, divesting myself of clothing.  That said, there was a period in my life when I had some very interesting clothing and accessories (including those that made up the first version of today's outfit).  It was a dark period in my life and, reacting to the darkness, I impulsively got rid of much of what I wore during it.  I do regret parting with that clothing and those accessories.  I have learned from that mistake:  I wait until clothing no longer evokes memories, and strong reactions and emotions, before deciding on its fate.


coat: Gap, old
blouse: Gap, old
sweater: H&M, old
skirt: Gap, old
socks: ?
shoes: Fluevog, old

No comments: