Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oliver Twist Pullover





The look:

shirt - old Gap
tie - H&M
pullover - Zara
skirt - old H&M
hat - Lillie & Cohoe
boots - Cydwoq
parka - old Canada Goose
scarf and mitts - old H&M
texting gloves - H&M

The tale:

One of the things that I like to do, on the old internet, is scout around for new (to me) personal style blogs to serve as a source of inspiration.  It never ceases to amaze me how many there are out there.  I came across one yesterday whose blogger's style I fell in love with.  That said, I am not sure that the blogger will serve as a source of inspiration for me (although I will certainly admire her).  Why do I say this?  Because her sense of style is something that I wish I could have but that I know I cannot.  It's funny.  The things that I am drawn to in terms of personal style are the same things that I am drawn to in terms of personal space.  I love the idea of modern minimalism.  Large open spaces, white walls, polished concrete floors, glass, metal, flat surfaces and angles.  But whenever I have the opportunity to achieve modern minimalism, I instinctively negate it.  I start filling the space and filling it with things that I think are the opposite of modern minimalism, namely, colour, texture, softness, warmth.  I want a space to cocoon in.  The same goes for personal style.  I love the idea of modern minimalist dress.  Black clothing, with the occasional white thrown in, body consciousness or clothes cut in geometric shapes and allowed to drape, footwear with distinct geometric shapes to them, edges in everything (hair, clothing footwear).  But when it comes time to get dressed, I reach for plaid, clothing with volume, colour (even if muted), textured and patterned sweaters, wellies, clunky, chunky shoes like oxfords, country inspired things.  I want clothing to cocoon in.  So why is the new personal style blog something that I will follow even though it is not likely to inspire me?  Because the blogger's style is modern minimalism at its best and I could never hope to emulate it.  (On a funny note:  I am sure some psychologist would have an interesting interpretation of what I have just said about what I admire and what I actually choose.) 

No comments: