Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Knee Socks






I never cease to amaze myself.  Years ago, while I would have worn knee socks, I would have felt very self conscious in them.  Today, I was completely comfortable in them.  Knee socks are my second answer (my first was long skirts) to not wanting to wear tights when it is still a bit too nippy (particularly in the morning and evening) to go without tights.  (Yes, I know that I said that it was a sweltery Summer day this past Saturday, but, right now, days like that are definitely an exception, not a rule.)  Yesterday, I bought about a half dozen black knee socks, of different brands, to try out.  The annoying bit about buying socks is that there don't seem to be a lot of different brands on offer.  I guess "real women" are supposed to wear pantyhose -- of which there are oodles of different brands on offer -- or nothing at all.  I hate how the commercial world tries to mould women.  Another annoying bit about buying socks is that you can't return them when they don't work out.  How do knee socks usually fail me, you may wonder.  By falling down.  Once I find the brand that works for me, you can rest assured that I will be buying more of it.  The brand that I wore today will probably be a keeper.  I will have to see how it bears up after a laundering.  Tomorrow, I plan on testing out another brand.

No comments: