Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gingham And Lace


I was fortunate enough to have picked up the lacey skirt that I wore today on sale (at Anthropologie).  When I saw the skirt on the sales rack, my first thought was that I didn't recall seeing it on the sales floor when it was full price, which was odd because I browse Anthropologie quite frequently.  My second thought was that, while the skirt was pretty, would I like it on me and could I see myself wearing it enough to justify buying it.  My third thought was that the only way that I could answer the second thought was by trying the skirt on.


Maybe this isn't so strange, but it never ceases to amaze me how some of my favourite pieces of clothing are ones that I buy on sale and would never even consider buying full price, not because of the price, but because of the style.  Like with the skirt that I wore today, I don't seem to see (really see) certain styles of clothing when they are full price.  It's like they exist in some full price universe other than the one that I inhabit.  However, when they are marked down, they fall within my field of vision, my universe.  It is because many of my favourite pieces of clothing were bought on sale that I often times say to myself that I shouldn't shop anything but the sales racks.


It is undoubtedly strange that I have a habit of talking myself out of a style of clothing before even trying it on in the store.  I am constantly having to tell myself to try things on.  With a full price item beyond my fiscal capabilities, I can understand not trying something on and talking myself out of its suitability.  But with an item on sale that is well within my financial constraints, what do I have to lose (other than some time)?


The skirt that I wore today was on sale.  I tried it on and fell in love with it.  Now it resides with me and stands a good chance (a very good chance I would say) of becoming a favourite piece of clothing.


I am wearing a old Gap shirt, a skirt from Anthropologie, an old H&M belt and a sweater from Zara.  My bow is a fabric belt taken from an old Anthropologie dress.  My tights are from my sock drawer, my socks are by Hue and my boots are Fluevog.  I am carrying an old H&M bag.

No comments: