Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Get Set ...


It started last night and continued throughout today: one disappointment after another.


Last night, when I got home, there was a "form letter" from LLBean waiting for me.  It informed me that LLBean had to cancel my back order, "due to unforeseen circumstances".  This isn't the first time that this has happened to me, with LLBean.  Disappointment number one.


I have this annoying habit of building outfits around "yet to be acquired" pieces of clothing.  The annoying part of this habit is when, for various reasons, I can't actually acquire the "yet to be acquired" piece of clothing around which I have built an outfit and I have to say goodbye to the outfit (at least for the time being, but, sometimes, forever).  This is what happened with the LLBean item: I built an outfit around an item that I expected to acquire. Then the item slipped out of my reach.  Goodbye outfit.


Then, about mid-afternoon today, disappointment number two.  A disappointment that I had already suffered some months ago was brought back to life.  While suffering the disappointment anew, I realized that I haven't quite gotten over it.  Frankly, I don't seem to know how to move on.


Finally, after work, disappointment number three and disappointment number four.


It all started innocently enough.  I was going to go shopping for a brown tie, solid or patterned.  I went into one store, then another.  Before I knew it, I was laden with many clothing items, all except the brown tie that I had set out for.


I can't say that I regret any of my actual purchases.  But I am disappointed that I still don't have a brown tie.  And I am disappointed that I lost sight of the aim of the shopping trip (although I looked for a brown tie in every store that I entered).


My sweater is Zara, taken from my closet.  My scarf is American Apparel, dug out from my accessories collection.  I am wearing a Gap dress, Hue socks and Frye boots.  I am carrying an H&M bag.

No comments: