Thursday, July 29, 2010

Writing The Rule Book


So here are some of the things that I have been thinking of as an exception to my future prohibition against buying new things:  First, Fluevogs.  I am considering extending the exception to apply to all footwear, but for the moment, I will keep the exception limited to Fluevogs.


Second, accessories.  This would include hats, scarves, belts, bags and hoisery.


Third, jewellery.  I am not a huge consumer of jewellery as it is.  (Hopefully, the prohibition won't turn me into one!)


Fourth, vintage and/or second-hand clothing.  I rationalize this exception on the basis that I don't shop "in real life" for vintage or second-hand clothing because of allergies.  I only shop for vintage or second-hand clothing online.  My online purchases of clothing are restrained (so far, at least), because the experience of buying clothes online isn't quite as fulfilling as real life shopping.


Fifth, online purchases of new clothing.  I know that this may be pushing it too far and making the prohibition a joke.  Here are two reasons for including this one:  As stated above, my online purchasing is restrained.  Also, we are just about to enter upon one of my favourite shopping seasons: Fall.  If I don't give myself permission to buy some new Fall clothing, I am definitely more likely to fall off the prohibition wagon.  I want the prohibition to succeed, so I am being realistic about my proclivities.


Sixth, purchases at the One of a Kind Show and Sale.  I know that allowing this means that I may go wild at the Show and Sale.  But it does happen only twice a year, so how much trouble could I realistically get myself into?


There is one more exception that I am thinking of, but I will leave it for now.  Summer School Girl did well I think!


jacket: JCrew, from my closet
blouse: vintage (from Sally Jane Vintage on Etsy)
jumper dress: vintage (from Sally Jane Vintage on Etsy)
socks: ?, from my sock drawer
shoes: Fluevog, from my closet

No comments: